View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kinudig
Elder
Contributor

re: The decade-long game of Civ II & the hellish new world

Getting your money's doubleplus worth!

One of my favorite games of all time was Sid Meier's Civilization II, followed closely by Sid Meier's Alpha Centari (aka SMAC). For those of you who have not played any of the Civ series, it was pretty much the grand-daddy of SIMs in the 90's. Mr. Meier pretty much said "I'll see your 1989 SimCity and raise you a 1990 SIMworldhistorytofuturetech" with Civ I.

I've been infatuated with the series ever since I got my copy of Civ I in some Egghead Software bargain bin the year Civ II came out. Civ II was still full price though, and heck, better to start at the beginning right? As it turned out, only two games in the Civ series ever had any kind of sequel quality to them: Civ II and Alpha Centari.

Both great games, together or on their own.

So naturally I was excited to come across an announcement at PAX East this year from Firaxis Games that a new "Sid Meier Civ" game will be released in the Fall, *and* it takes it's inspiration from SMAC! The title: Civilization Beyond Earth - cool. can't wait.

Then while reading an article on Gamespot about the history of the Civ series, I came across a mention and a link to this individual who claims to have been playing a single Civ II scenario for 10 years!

From Gamespot:

[Civilization II's] victory conditions also created an interesting wrinkle. While the game technically ended after one player either defeated all the others, reached Alpha Centauri, or the game simply reached the year 2020, players could keep on playing indefinitely. In 2012, Reddit user Lycerius made a startling post describing a decade-long game of Civilization II and the hellish conditions in which his world new resided.

Read more about it at reddit by following the link above. Apparently, at the time of his OP, Lycerius was engaged in a 3-way power struggle with The Vikings and The Americans that lasted 2000 game-years. He describes the world as "a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation" with " 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands".

A subreddit was started, with thousands of people offering help and advice. And if the original post wasn't entertaining enough, reading through the best comments that follow is a nostalgic tour de force. Lycerius even went so far as to share his save game so that other Civ fans could play their own version with their own advanced tactics, unto whatever end.

(The news media picked up the story in 2012, The Huffington Post even had a followup as well, so some of you reading this may already be familiar with this story.)

Olecranon2
Hunter
Contributor

re: The decade-long game of Civ II & the hellish new world

Oh my goodness!! We need to do something similar in WOOK! Think about the complexity of managing that! Now if I only knew that it would be this worth on keep playing to end up with something like THAT! I would have tried playing longer lol

It would be the ultimate WOOK project to have other members team up and do that! Makes me think of Eve Online a lot! But without other players messing with you

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WOOK Forum Index -> The Wookiee Village All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum